Company: Government jobs
Location: East Hartford
Posted on: January 20, 2023
This is responsible custodial and building maintenance work
involving the performance of assigned/scheduled building
maintenance work throughout all Town buildings. Employee works
alone and is also responsible for routine custodial work.
Work involves responsibility for keeping municipal buildings in
good repair, and safe condition. Duties include making standard
repairs, including electrical, plumbing and carpentry repairs. This
position also has the responsibility for making standard
maintenance and repair decisions. This work requires that the
employee have considerable knowledge, skill and ability in making
repairs and alterations to buildings and facilities, which does not
require journey level capability.
Works under the general supervision of the Facility Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Inspects buildings to assure conformance to established
- Receives oral and written instructions.
- Obtains materials and equipment needed to perform daily
- Coordinates activities with departments and supervisor.
- Performs routine building maintenance projects, such as,
replacing electrical outlets and switches, replacing fluorescent
fixtures and ballasts, replacing fans, changing faucets, replacing
toilets, removing obstructions from drain pipes, painting rooms,
furniture, and similar projects.
- Performs routine cleaning and custodial duties.
- Empties waste baskets.
- Transports trash and waste to disposal area.
- Assists in monitoring the Town's HVAC and other systems.
- Picks up and delivers mail from Post Office, sorts and delivers
mail to departments.
- Moves furniture and other items, as required.
- Responds to emergencies, such as toilet spills.
- Performs special projects, such as cleaning drainpipes on the
roofs of all Town buildings.
- Removes the snow from sidewalks and other areas, as
- Orders materials.Maintains a small workshop with hand tools and
- Operates snow blower, lawn mower, pickup truck, and other
grounds maintenance equipment.
- Performs work in a safe manner and observes all safety
- Uses all tools, equipment and materials responsibly and
performs basic inspection of them prior to use.
- Uses personal computer for email, word processing, time record
keeping, daily work records, complaint tracking and resolution,
- Fills out job forms as assigned. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND
- Considerable knowledge of tools, equipment and methods used in
routine building maintenance and repair.
- Considerable knowledge of the work standards and safety
procedures in building maintenance work.
- Considerable skill in the safe use of standard hand tools and
power equipment., ladders and scaffolding.
- Considerable ability to follow instructions and learn
- Considerable ability to establish and maintain effective
working relationships with coworkers and the general public.
- Good ability to perform custodial work safely, effectively and
efficiently with a minimum of direct supervision. JOB
QUALIFICATIONS AND LICENSING
A high school diploma, plus three years of experience in building
maintenance work requiring the use of standard hand tools and power
equipment, or an equivalent combination of education and qualifying
Must have a valid Connecticut driver's license.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Pickup truck, lawn mower, snow blower, lawn equipment, hand and
power tools, cleaning equipment and tools.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical and mental demands described here are representative
of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects,
tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee
frequently is required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is
occasionally required to walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel,
crouch, or crawl; and smell. The employee must frequently lift
and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally more than 50 lbs.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee must be able
to read and interpret basic instructions for operating tools and
equipment. The employee must also be able to keep routine records
and write basic reports. This position requires the ability to deal
with standardized situations with only occasional new
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally
works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally
works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to
wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee
occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally
exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals,
and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work
environment is usually loud in field settings, and moderately quiet
in office settings.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the
various types of work that may be performed. The omission of
specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement
between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the
employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job
The Town of East Hartford is an equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: Government jobs, East Hartford , Building Maintainer, Professions , East Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!