CNC/CAM Engineer (NPI)
Company: Horst Engineering & Mfg Co
Location: East Hartford
Posted on: August 4, 2022
Job Summary: This CNC/CAM Engineer role is an important member
of our dedicated New Product Introduction (NPI) team. This is a
unique hybrid role that acts as a center of excellence between
Engineering and Manufacturing (Operations) teams. You will focus on
the engineering and programming of CNC equipment including
multi-axis lathes, Swiss screw machines, vertical machining
centers, and grinders. You will split time between programming in
an engineering environment and performing hands-on set-up on the
production floor. Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Develop CNC programs that mirrors the best manufacturing
methods to produces precision and ultra-precision components.
- Leverage parametric programming, macros, and CAM software to
- Set-up and operate production equipment during the initial
process development of new parts.
- Optimize set-up, tool paths, material removal rates, finish,
- Train production personnel for smooth transition to mass
- Work within the Engineering & Manufacturing teams to develop
manufacturing processes, preferred tooling & work-holding,
in-process deburring and metrology that will become the approved
work instructions to Production team.
- Manage programs and machine & tool set-up data within the
company's product data management (PDM) and DNC systems.
- Serve as in-house subject matter expert, participating in lean
events to optimize existing released products that can reduce
set-up, reduce machine time, or otherwise improve productivity and
- Stay in touch with the latest manufacturing technology through
the research of equipment, software, tooling, and gaging
- Make recommendations on productivity improvements related to
technology investments. Other Responsibilities:
- Support our cost estimating processes by developing and
simulating manufacturing processes.
- Perform tool and die work and assist with fixture building that
supports NPI activities.
- Support our Quality Assurance team by identifying inspection
methods and programming advanced metrology such as CMM and vision
- Train other team members on machining techniques. Requirements:
- Degree in Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Five or more years of advanced manufacturing experience,
preferably in a precision or ultra-precision machining
- Expert knowledge of CNC programming such as Fanuc, Mitsubishi,
and Okuma controls, using advanced programming techniques such as
parametric programming and macros.
- Frequent user of CAM software programs such as Mastercam,
PartMaker, or SolidCAM.
- Familiar with operating with a manufacturing enterprise
software - experience with EPCIOR or similar is bonus.
- Strong knowledge of work-holding, tooling systems and set-up of
CNC machines. Physical Requirements:
- Ability to sit/stand for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to push/pull up to 25 lbs.
Keywords: Horst Engineering & Mfg Co, East Hartford , CNC/CAM Engineer (NPI), Engineering , East Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!